Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Camera Obscura releases a new LP, My Maudlin Career (due April 20th)



During SxSW, I ran into a fellow Brooklynite in the back of Bird's Barbershop, who said he was on his way to the French Legation Museum to see Camera Obscura. Being a photographer, the term was very familiar to me, and being a 20-something indie music listener, I had heard of the band before, but in that moment I had to confess that I had never listened to this Glasgow based band. The Brooklynite said I should definitely check them out and now, a week later, I have. The result is a new band to add to heavy rotation in my iTunes. So pretty! There is something warmly/hauntingly 80s about the band, yet the sophistication of rhythms and melodies grounds them very firmly in post-modern rock and (as Camera Obscura puts it themselves) the "melodramatic popular song" genre. Horns, guitars, organs, keyboard synth, beautiful voice on the lead singer... all big thumbs up from me. Also, I can picture this music being amazing on a long car ride, which always works well for me (I adore car rides).



Their show tonight for the Mercury Lounge is sold out (lame), but if you're abroad during the next month, check out their tour schedule:

21 April - Newcastle Academy 2 - Tickets

22 April - Manchester Club Academy - Tickets

23 April - London Shepherd's Bush Empire - Tickets

24 April - The Assembly, Leamington (Replaces Warwick show) - Tickets

25 April - Sheffield Leadmill - Tickets

26 April - Glasgow Barrowlands Ballroom - Tickets

29 April - Belfast The Stiff Kitten - Tickets

30 April - Dublin Andrew's Lane Theatre - Tickets

Their new album, "My Maudlin Career" lands in stores on April 20th. Listen to the nifty embedded mp3 player below to get a taste.



Want to know more about Camera Obscura?
Myspace
Twitter
Website

No comments: