Thursday, June 4, 2009

How I Love the Streets of NY


NYC: Soho Street Photo by Professor Bop via Flickr Creative Commons.

I love my walk to get lunch every day. Sometimes, I take obscure routes just so I can stay out of the office for a bit longer and enjoy all the window shopping that the city has to offer around 16th and 5th ave. But today, I discovered something even better about walking on the streets of NYC, something I had nearly forgotten about: overheard conversations!

Now, don't get me wrong, I do not like to eavesdrop on people's private conversations, but hell, this is NYC and we're all smooshed together as it is, so it just happens all the time. And really, it doesn't help that half the people are screaming out what they are saying to project over the rumble of NYC life. So when I was crossing 16th street at 5th ave today around 1pm, I wasn't surprised when my ears caught the tail end of an extremely heated and loud argument between a man and a woman. What I WAS surprised at is what the woman than yelled at her boyfriend (?):

YOU'RE LIKE AN EMPTY CHRISTMAS PRESENT.

What?!?!?!!? It took about 20 whole seconds for the words to reach my brain, process, be translated, and then reach my lips, to which a "HAHAHA" came out, and then a hand flew over my mouth. What the hell is up with that comment? How did she even think of that in the heat of the moment?!

As confusing as it all was, though, in that moment I realized something I hadn't thought about in awhile: I ADORE NEW YORK CITY.

I've had a smile on my face every since :)

ps- I know, where the hell have I been? I need to get back into this blogging-thing. SOON!

No comments: